Back pains are debilitating and require more than one ways to tackle this menace which back stretching is also one of the effective therapies, thereby making the best back stretcher a vital orthopedic product.
Back stretchers are very easy to use, no-assembly arched orthopedic device. They are very effective at stretching the muscles of the back (both lower back and upper back), to eliminate stiffness, realign the spine and ultimately reduce back pain.
In this article, we educate you better about back stretching, its importance, some back stretching exercise and we also review some of the best orthopedic back stretchers you should consider while hunting for this product.
Comparison Table: Top 5 Best Back Stretchers for Lower Back Pain
|Magic Back Support Back Stretching Device||YES||YES|
|PGG-bro Back Stretcher, Lumbar Back Pain Relief Device||YES||YES|
|SOLIDBACK | Lower Back Pain Relief Treatment Stretcher||NO||YES|
|ChiFit Multi-Level Back Stretching Device||YES||YES|
|North American Health + Wellness Back Stretcher||NO||NO|
What Does Back Stretching Do?
Back stretching is the act of stretching the muscles in the back and other back components. It is an effective way of alleviating back pain by relaxing tight muscles, decompressing the nerves, and enhancing circulation to further nourish the spine.
Regular stretching of the back will not only reduce back pain, but the exercise also strengthens the back to prevent future pain.
How to Effectively Stretch the Back for Pain Relief
There are different ways you can safely and effectively stretch your back muscles to relief both lower and upper back pain:
The Best Orthopedic (arched) Back Stretcher
Back stretchers are simple orthopedic devices that are shaped to align your vertebrae. They do not require assembly, not bulky, and very effective at realigning the spine of the user. Some orthopedic back stretchers have acupuncture points that give a massage-like touch, thereby, enhancing blood circulation to the back region. This also helps to relieve back pain.
Back Stretching Exercise
There are many exercises that can be targeted for the purpose of stretching the back muscles. They are simple to do indoor with little or no risk and very effective in not only stretching your back but also strengthen the back muscles to prevent injuries and back pain in the future.
Suspending yourself upside down against gravity is a good way to stretch the back and decompress the spine. Inversion therapy has been proven to be effective for back pain. Though, it doesn’t treat the underlying health condition, but, it sure offers great relief by decompressing the spine and stretching the back components.
Inversion table, gravity boot, and inversion chair are the best equipment you should consider for inversion therapy. You can also check our article on the best inversion table for back pain to read and select the top product.
- Best Inversion Table for tall and Large Person
- Best Compact and Folding Inversion Table
- The Best Exercise Bike for Back Problems
How to Select the Best Orthopedic Back Stretcher
There are a few qualities you should look out for when selecting an arched back stretcher. Below are some of the most vital features to look out for:
- Size (Portable): How big is the device? A good back stretcher must be portable and not be bulky in size. The beauty of an orthopedic back stretcher as oppose to other ways to stretching devices is the ability to use it everywhere. Therefore, you need something you can easily carry along with you on all journeys.
- Adjustable: This is vital because you need something that can adjust according to how flexible your back has become. Regular stretching will sure make your back flexible, therefore the need to select a product that will also adjust accordingly.
- Curved Structure: Of course, the back stretcher should be arched in shape to align properly with your spine. How comfortable you will feel may also depend on this factor.
- Acupuncture Points: Your device will most likely have acupuncture points on its surface, we always recommend that users go for such a product due to the added advantage of massage you tend to receive during back stretching. Massage is good for circulation to help heal back pain faster, you can also select the best back massager and read more about massage here.
- Warranty: You sure need buying assurance on any products you intend to purchase and this is no different. Be sure the product comes with a warranty and check the time frame the warranty will elapse too.
Who Need an Orthopedic (Arched) Back Stretcher?
Primarily, the best back stretcher is useful for people who deal with back pain, either caused by daily lifestyle, injuries or naturally via degenerative diseases. As we age, the body tends to react more to gravity which is believed to compress the spine and disc. Getting the best back stretcher is effective for the following:
- Herniated disc
- Degenerative disc diseases
- Bulging disc
- Bad posture
- Lower back pain (arthritis)
Back stretching is also beneficial even if you do not suffer from back pain. It exercises your back muscle and keep them in shape, strengthens the back and keeps it away from future injuries.
- Best Back Brace for Sciatica
- Best Inversion Table for Sciatica
- The Best Back Brace for Scoliosis
- Best Back Brace for Herniated Disc
- The Best Brace for Posture Correction
Benefits of Using the Best Back Stretcher
There are many benefits of using an orthopedic arched back stretcher which includes but not limited to:
- An orthopedic back stretcher is versatile, you get to use it while sleeping or place at your back while sitting
- Cost-Effective: The device is very cheap to afford, you do not need to spend a lot to achieve results
- It is effective as it is shaped to conform more with your spine
- The circulation to the back is also improved thereby ensuring the back region is circulated with nutrients for faster results.
- Your posture can be corrected if used correctly and regularly
- It gives good stretching to the back muscles thereby reducing stiffness
- They are also small in size, portable, and can be used anywhere or taken along with every journey
- Your back region will also become more flexible as you make use of a back stretcher.
How to Correctly, Safely and Effectively Use an Orthopedic Back Stretcher
The device does not need assemblage and that makes it even easier to use. You most likely will not wrongly use the device even if you are a first time. However, these steps will guide you even more:
- For first time buyer, remove the product from the pack
- Adjust the intensity/level of the arch to the lowest especially for first-timer
- Put the stretcher on a flat surface, then lie on it with the device around the lower back region
- Increase the intensity of the arch as your back get even more flexible with time
- Store in a cool dry place after every usage.
“Do not use higher intensity if you are new to the device. Allow your back region to become flexible to handle higher intensity before adjusting the device as such.”
“When you start using a back stretcher, you will find it to be very painful, we urge you not to stop as it will take time for your back to adjust to this position.”
Top 5 Best Orthopedic Back Stretchers for Relieving Back Pain
This is one of the best orthopedic back stretching devices you should consider on your search and it’s in fact our top choice back stretcher.
Magic Back Support Back Stretching Device is light in weight and portable which makes it possible to carry from one place to the other. You can use it on the bed, floor, or as a support to your back when sitting.
The back stretcher can withstand a maximum weight of 150kg as it is made with tough ABS plastic material for strength and longevity. You can also adjust the device to suit your flexibility; its highest level has an arch height of 12cm from the base.
The users of Magic Back Support Back Stretching Device will also benefit from its acupuncture points evenly placed on the surface of the device to give a good massage to promote circulation.
It is one of the best back stretchers for back pain, sciatica, herniated disc, degenerative disc diseases, and other degenerative diseases leading to excruciating back pain.
This is another lovely orthopedic back stretcher we recommend to give you the most effective back stretching for relieving back pain, herniated disc, scoliosis, and other back problems.
PGG-bro Back Stretcher, Lumbar Back Pain Relief Device has a total of 88 massage points evenly distributed over the surface. It works by pressing deeply into a particular area, releasing tight knots, muscles and relieving back pain.
The device also has 3-adjustable settings to fit into your preference perfectly. You can easily set the level to what you are most comfortable with.
PGG-bro Back Stretcher, Lumbar Back Pain Relief Device is also strong and durable, yet lightweight and portable for easy transport from one place to the other. It will support user weight up to 300 pounds.
Like other orthopedic back stretchers, it is versatile as you can use it at home or in the office to support your back and help you maintain proper posture as you work.
The back stretcher is one of the most purchased on Amazon which has also garnered large numbers of positive reviews and ratings from the previous buyers giving credence to its quality and effectiveness.
As its name suggests, SOLIDBACK | Lower Back Pain Relief Treatment Stretcher is solid and cannot be adjusted, unlike other products. This is a little rigid and might pose a problem for people who won’t find its arch to be comfortable.
However, the product has proven to be effective for back stretching and relieving back pains. Its arch is 3.7-inch tall from the base; therefore, you must be convenient with this since the product cannot be adjusted.
SOLIDBACK | Lower Back Pain Relief Treatment Stretcher is made with quality material that ensures its strength, durability, and yet very comfortable to the back of the user.
This is a lovely product and we are sure of its effectiveness. Thousands of buyers have used it across the world and the feedbacks are quite amazing.
The back stretcher is also one of the top products available for purchase. It is a multi-level back stretcher capable of giving you a good back stretching and helping to relieve back pain.
ChiFit Multi-Level Back Stretching Device has a weight capacity of 250 pounds, this is vital to note especially if you will be sleeping on it. It comes with a belt which makes it slip-free when using it with a chair.
Like other reviewed products, it is light in weight and not bulky and this makes it easy to take along everywhere, it is a good one for traveling purposes.
There are also acupuncture points on the surface of the ChiFit Multi-Level Back Stretching Device which gives massage to the user. This will help blood and nutrient circulation thereby also enhancing faster pain relief.
This is a product we also recommend due to its qualities, durability, and effectiveness in decompressing the spine, herniated disc, and posture correction.
This back stretcher is a little different from others as it is not equipped with acupuncture points for massage. However, it is one of the best back stretchers you should consider for perfect support and back pain relief.
North American Health + Wellness Back Stretcher is strong and rigid, this means you cannot adjust its arch height, unlike other reviewed products. It also does not have acupuncture points for massage.
The device is a good one for both home and office use as you can easily use it with your ergonomic chair. Its lightness and compact size make it easy to transport from one place to the other.
North American Health + Wellness Back Stretcher is surely one of the best you can opt for to maximize flexibility and soothe spinal arthritis, herniated disks, stress fractures, and other back pains.
Top Stretching Exercises to Stretch and Strengthen your Back
- Child Pose
- Hip Flexor Stretch
- Knee-to-chest stretch
- Hamstring Stretch
- Cat-Camel back stretch
- Piriformis stretch
- Seated spinal twist
- Trunk rotation stretch
- Pelvic Tilt
- Sphinx stretch
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should you lay on a back stretcher?
Back stretchers should not be used for a long time, it is more recommended to use it between 5-15 minutes. Therefore, you should not consider sleeping on a back stretcher overnight.
Are back stretchers good for a herniated disc?
The device is suitable for many back problems from a herniated disc, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, sciatica, and other back problems.
Can stretching your back make it worse?
It depends on the cause of the back pain. The one resulting from injuries should be studied well and proper advice from your doctor is essential to avoid worsening the back.
For back pain resulting from daily lifestyle, stretching is very effective and will not worsen it if done correctly. Avoid using high intensity if you are a starter (for orthopedic back stretcher) and allow your back to become more flexible before you increase the arch level.
Stretching is generally effective and safe. It strengthens the back and prevents injuries to the back.
How do I decompress my back at home?
Use the best back stretcher, you can select from our top 5 products. The inversion table is also a great device for decompressing the spine. It gives more decompression than an orthopedic back stretcher. You can also engage the top back stretching exercises at home.