This article aims to enlighten the readers on the best lightweight transport wheelchair and suggest some of the best products. So, if you are hunting to get the best, durable and reliable transport chair for yourself or your aging parents, then you are in the right article.
Transport wheelchairs are common manual mobility aid for seniors suitable to get the disabled, elders and folks who are suffering from movement disability due to some fatal injuries – non-weight bearing injuries on both feet. This type of wheelchair, unlike the self-propelled manual wheelchair, requires the user to have a caregiver that will push you from behind.
Therefore, before reading further, you have to be sure you need a transport wheelchair because without someone acting as a caregiver to help push you around, a transport wheelchair becomes completely useless.
Transport wheelchairs, however, has its advantages over other types of wheelchairs, be it the self-propelled or the electric power wheelchair.
Quick View Table – Top Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
What is the best lightweight transport wheelchair? Our Top Choice
- Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Weight of the Wheelchair: 27 pounds
- The diameter of the rear wheel: 12-inch; 8-inch front wheel
- Seat height from floor: 20-inch
- Adjustable seat belt: up to 41-inch
- Seat dimensions: 18.5”W X 15.75”D
- Width of the wheelchair when opened: 25.75″
- Height of backrest from seat: 17.75”
- Adjustable footrest: 5” – 9”
- Height of Armrest from seat: 10.5”
- Available color: Red, Blue, and Black
There are lots of features that make this our top pick among other lightweight transport wheelchairs available in most popular online stores.
- We love the versatility of this transport wheelchair that makes it a suitable mobility aid on almost all-terrain. The combination of handbrake and locking system for better control. The durable, strong and reliable 12-inch wheels make it suitable to maneuver on any floor type.
- Its ergonomic features are also top-notch. The footrest can be removed to reduce the weight of the wheelchair and also folds into a compact size for easy traveling purposes. The footrest can also be adjusted to enhance the comfort through customization to the user’s choice. They can also be swing-away to make it easier to get in and out of the chair.
- Nova Lightweight transport chair is also approved by the FDA. Its safety features are perfect in place, like the seat belt, durable brake, and locking system and other primary safety features. its armrest, backrest, and seat are correctly padded to ensure the user is comfortable sitting on the chair for as long as they want.
Read: Best Hinged Knee Brace
Importance of a Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
When getting a transport wheelchair, it is essential to know how vital the lightweight one can be for the user and the caregiver.
Easy Transport due to Portability
A lightweight transport wheelchair is always portable thereby making transport easy for the user and the caregiver. Lightweight wheelchairs generally help liberate patients from the confinement of their homes and travel with it easily due to its portability and lightness in weight.
Easy Usage/Maneuverability – Compact
Lightweight transport wheelchairs are not bulky thereby largely reducing their weight. The compactness that comes from this makes it easy to maneuver in tight space and corners. This makes them easy to use both for the patient and the caregiver pushing the transport wheelchair.
Top Lightweight Transport Chair for seniors
- Weight of the transport wheelchair: 23.75 pounds
- Maximum weight carrying capacity: 300 pounds
- Seat height from the floor: 20-inch
- Width of the wheelchair when open: 24.5-inch
- Width between armrests: 17.5-inch
- Dimensions when folded: 27” Dx10.25” Wx31.5” H
- Arm height from seat: 12.5-inch
- Backrest height from seat: 19-inch
- Seat belt adjustable: up to 41-inch
- Footplate Height from Floor: 5” – 9”
- Color available: Blue and Red
This is also one of the transport wheelchairs from NOVA medical products and it is one of the best and highly accepted transport chairs among buyers.
- With an overall weight of 23.75 pounds and removable footrest which can be earnest to even further reduce the weight of the product makes it a good choice for traveling. Also, with a compact width of 10-inch when folded ensure it fits into car trucks and airplanes.
- The rear push used by the caregiver is contoured to reduce pressure on the palm. There is also a back pocket to keep personal properties safe and secure. For better comfort of the user, the armrest, backseat, and the seat are padded, and this also prevents stretching or ripping.
- The handbrake system makes controlling the speed easier for the caregiver. It can also be put in locking mode by simply pressing the handbrake downward. The adjustable seat belt also enhances the safety of the user. The wheelchair is approved by the FDA and it is proudly made in the United States.
- Weight capacity of the transport wheelchair: 300 pounds
- Weight of the transport wheelchair: 23.5 pounds
- 12-inch rear wheel size and 8-inch front wheel
- Transport wheelchair seat dimensions: 19 x 16 inches
- The dimension of the wheelchair when folded: 32″Hx24″ Dx10″W
Compared to other products, this is one of the best lightweight transport wheelchairs to get when you are on a budget.
- This transport wheelchair is not only light in weight but has features that make it easy for both the user and the caregiver. Its contoured handgrips distribute pressures evenly on the palm of the caregiver and easily engaged handbrake for easy control.
- With 2-inch rear wheel diameter, coupled with the strength and durability of the wheel ensure it can maneuver well on any floor type. The overall weight of the product is 23.5 pounds which can be further reduced when the leg rests are removed to enhance proper and easy storage.
- The back folds down into a chair and the frame into a compact width of 10-inch, making it easy stow while traveling. Its seat and backrest are padded for comfort and layers of reinforced upholstery for support. It is one of the most purchased transport wheelchairs and has positive feedbacks from previous users.
Read more about other crutch alternatives like the wheelchair
#4. Drive Medical Lightweight Expedition Transport Wheelchair – Best for Transport Wheelchair for Traveling
- The product weighs only 19 pounds
- Seat Dimensions 19Wx16D inches
- Overall Width of transport wheelchair: 22 inches (open); 10-inch when closed
- Rear-wheel size: 12 inches; Front wheel: 8-inch
- Product Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Armrest Length: 14 inches; Seat to Armrest Height: 8 inches
- Folded Dimensions: 38 x 10.75 x 38 inches; Folded width: 10.75 inches
- Back of Chair Height: 18 inches
- Seat to Floor Height: 19 inches; Armrest to Floor Height: 27 inches
- Drive Medical Lightweight Expedition Transport Wheelchair is a very attractive and portable transport chair, finely painted in red or blue for users to have color options. It is one of the lightest weight wheelchairs as it weighs just 19 pounds and will still carry users having up to 300 pounds weight.
- All its safety features are intact and the product is approved by the FDA. The seat belt is adjustable and durable for the safety of the user. Its brake system is also situated on the handle to give the caregiver complete access to control the speed of the transport chair.
- If you are considering what to take along your journey, you need a very lightweight transport wheelchair and this product is what we recommend for traveling purposes due to its weight, ability to fold into a compact size and non-bulkiness.
- Actual wheelchair’s weight: 22 pounds
- Product’s maximum weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Wheel’s Diameter: 8-inch front and rear wheel; 1-inch tire thickness
- Overall Chair Height – Floor to Top of Chair: -36-inch
- Overall Chair Width – Side to Side: -20-inch
- Seat Width – Side to Side: -17-inch
- Available color: Silver, Burgundy, Black, and Blue
- This wheelchair is recommended for petite individuals. It has a seat width of 17-inch which might not be a good one for bigger folks. With a weight of 22 pounds and a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds, it will carry most people with medium body size without any safety risk.
- The lightweight transport wheelchair does not have handbrakes. It is rather equipped with a push to lock wheel brake located at the rear wheel of the wheelchair. This keeps the chair in a stationary position when applied. The available seat belt also keeps the user in place and enhances their safety.
- Its seat is 0.5-inch think but can be cushioned further if the user wants it so. The frame is made with aluminum thereby giving the wheelchair a perfect combination of strength, durability, and lightweight. Its leg rests are also removable and can be swing sideways.
- Overall Width of the wheelchair (open): 21.5-inch
- Maximum weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Product’s Weight: 26 pounds
- 8-inch front and rear wheel
- Dimensions of the seat are 16×17 inches; Height: 19-inch
- Cushioned armrests and swing-away footrests
- Nylon seat upholstery is simple to clean
- Available color: Silver
- This is also one of the best lightweight transport wheelchairs and one we recommend for the petite folks. If you are on a budget and need a good transport chair for yourself or as a gift to a loved one, then you might have found your right guy in this product. The design is sleek and maneuvers well in tight space.
- You will fall in love with the product merely looking at it as it is very robust and compact in appearance. There exist no flimsy parts, thereby giving it a compact shape and lightness in weight. This makes it a good choice to get around easily and a perfect choice for traveling purposes.
- On Amazon, it has been rated by above 1900 buyers and the product still has a rating of 4.3 of 5. The positive feedbacks from previous buyers indicate its quality for such a pocket-friendly transport wheelchair. It does not have handbrakes but push-to-lock wheel brakes at the rear wheels.
- Seat to Floor Height: 19.5 inches; Seat to Armrest Height: 8 inches
- Maximum Weight Carrying Capacity: 450 pounds
- Weight of the transport wheelchair: 48 pounds
- Folded Dimensions: 38 inches x 11.5 inches x 37 inches
- 22 inches width seat; Depth of Seat Upholstery: 18 inches
- Seat to Armrest Height: 8 inches; Armrest Length: 10 inches
- Overall Product Width: 26.5 inches
- Width Between Armrest Pads: 22.5 inches
- 12-inch rear wheel; 8-inch front wheel
- For the bigger folks, this heavy-duty is one of the best lightweight bariatric transport wheelchairs you can purchase. It is one of the products from Drive Medical and definitely one of the best you can get to get you around the home or neighborhood.
- The mobility aid is proudly made in the United States and a suitable bariatric transport wheelchair for folks weighing up to 450 pounds. There are two seat options to choose from – 20 and 22 inches. The product has a total weight of 48 pounds.
- The Bariatric Transport Chair is made with steel and has dual, reinforced steel cross braces and a reinforced steel frame for added support. It’s heavy-duty, nylon reinforced upholstery comes with a back carry pouch to easily and securely transport personal items.
- 8″ Front Wheels and 12″ Rear Wheels
- Maximum weight carrying capacity: 400 pounds
- Product’s weight: 27.75 pounds
- Seat Width between arms – 22.5”; Seat dimensions: 21.25″W X 15.5”D;
- Overall dimensions when folded – 11″Wx31″ Dx37.5″H
- Seat Height from floor – 20”; Back Height to seat – 17.5”
- Seat belt (adjusts up to 41”)
- Added storage pouch
- NOVA Bariatric Transport chair is our top choice for lightweight bariatric transport wheelchair. With a weight carrying capacity of 400 pounds. It has a weight of 27.75 pounds which is very light for a wheelchair with such high carrying capacity.
- Transfer out and into the wheelchair is very easy due to its adjustable, swing-away footrest and removable armrests. Maneuverability is easier and it glides smoothly on all floor types. Its rear wheel is 12-inch with the 8-inch front wheel. This makes movement on all-terrain an easy one.
- It is recommended for bigger seniors, the wide distance between the armrest makes it easily accommodate folks with large hips. NOVA’s Feather Touch locking handbrakes makes controlling on inclines, slopes and bumpy terrain easier for the caregiver.
- 6-inch casters in front and 8-inch casters in rear
- Folded Dimensions: 33x9x36 inches
- Product’s Weight: 14.5 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Dimensions of the seat: 16x17x19 inches
- The whole weight of the transport wheelchair is 14.5 pounds and a weight carrying capacity of 300 pounds. This is a good mobility aid for the seniors if your aim is to get something lightweight they can easily handle to get around the house and outside.
- The frame is made with aluminum with black, blue and red finishing, thereby enabling the buyers to choose their preferred color. Though it has strong wheels, due to the size of the rear (8-inch) and front (6-inch) wheels, we do not feel it can maneuver well on all-terrain.
- The lightweight transport wheelchair also folds into a compact size for easy storage and traveling purposes. It does not have handbrakes but push-to-lock wheel brake to put the device in a stationary position for safety when getting in and out of the chair.
- Maximum weight capacity: 250 pounds
- 20 pounds product’s weight
- Padded full-length permanent armrests with nylon upholstery.
- 8 inches front and rear wheels
- The material of Frame: Aluminum
- Seat Width: 19 inches
- Available color: Pink, Black, Blue, and Burgundy.
- This is also one of the best lightweight transport wheelchairs to get the seniors around the home and outside. It can be used indoor and outdoor but care must be taken as it may not be suitable for rough surfaces due to the size of the wheel has both front and rear wheels are 8 inches in diameter.
- The transport wheelchair has good footrests for the maximum comfort of the user. It also can be easily folded for storage and traveling – flared handles handy back-release hinge, removable tool-free swing-away composite footrests with heel loops allow easy fold-down for storage.
- The push-to-lock rear wheel locks the transport wheelchair from moving during entering and exiting of the transport wheelchair. The ProBasics Aluminum Transport Chair compact, lightweight design and an easy-to-maintain finish, available in four colors to suit user’s preference.
- Weight Capacity of the wheelchair: 300 pounds
- Weight of the transport chair: 15 pounds
- Seat width: 19-inch; Seat depth: 16-inch
- Rear-wheel: 8-inch; Front wheel: 8-inch
- The material used: Aluminum
- Available Color: Red, Metallic Silver, Blue, and Black.
- With a weight capacity of 300 pounds, Medline Ultra-light Transport Wheelchair also has a wide seat which makes its usage convenient for the seniors and elders. Weighing less than 15 pounds, the lightweight wheelchair ensures that users can move with it without being discomforted.
- It also has some accessories that make it stand-out among its peers. With fold-up armrests that make it easy to use with desk/tables, swing-away footrests for easy access into and out of the chair, cup holder to safely secure your water in place, safety belt to hold the user tightly for better safety and Stow-N-Go Clips that allow the footrests to lock to the side when not in use.
- The lightweight transport wheelchair does not have a hand-brake system but rear wheel lock to hold the product into a stationary position for better safety. It also folds into a compact size and coupled with the lightweight makes it a good choice to consider when you are going on that important journey.
- Weight of the Transport chair: 25 pounds
- Weight capacity of the product: 300 pounds
- The material of the frame: Steel
- Seat Width: 19-inch
- Overall width of the product (Closed): 21.25-inch (9-inch)
- Backrest height: 16-inch
- Foldable into a compact size
- If you are on a budget, this is also a good and one of the best lightweight transport wheelchairs you can get for yourself or loved ones needing the mobility aid for movement. Made by Carex Health Brands, the transport chair is the best-selling in the Attendant and Transport Wheelchairs category on Amazon.
- It has been proven by previous buyer’s reviews to be a good product for adults, seniors, disabled, and handicap. The transport chair, made with steel, ensure the frame is very strong, sturdy and durable to last for a long time. It is also strong enough to hold users’ weight up to 300 pounds.
- The only set-back bout the transport chair is the weight which is 25 pounds. This can be considered heavy when compared to other products with almost the same features and specifications. However, the transport wheelchair provides great support for everyday movement and folds easily for compact storage.
- Maximum weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Weight of the frame: 24 pounds
- The material of the Frame: Aluminum
- 8″ Solid Front Tires, 12.5″ Puncture proof rear tires
- Maximum width of the wheelchair: 21-inch; when folded: 10.5-inch
- Seat Height from floor – 19.5-inch
- This transport wheelchair is also a well-built, sturdy, strong transport wheelchair with durable rear and front-wheel for all-terrain. It has an overall width of 23.5 inches when opened which will conveniently pass through doors within the home. It is a good lightweight transport wheelchair for indoor and outdoor use.
- Also, it is a little bit heavy when compared to other products as it has a weight of 24 pounds and a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds. For transport, its leg rests can be removed to reduce the weight for easy carrying, the entire frame also folds compactly into car trucks or airplanes.
- We also like the handbrake system that puts the caregiver in control of the speed of the transport wheelchair. it can be put into lock position by simply pressing the handbrake downward. This enables the user to get in and out easily and safely.
- Maximum weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Weight of the product: 19 pounds
- Overall Product Width: 23 inches; Closed Width: 9 inches
- Width Between Armrest Pads: 19 inches; Width of Seat Upholstery: 18.25 inches
- Seat to Floor Height: 20 inches; Back of Chair Height: 17 inches
- This lightweight transport wheelchair is also one of the best portable transport wheelchairs. Its design is quite different from other transport wheelchairs and it is one of the top products on Amazon with a high purchase rate and positive buyer’s review.
- The wheelchair is made in the United States; it has a weight carrying capacity of 250 pounds and weighing 19 pounds. It is foldable into a compact size, easily fitted into the carry bag that comes along with it for easy storage and traveling purposes.
- The frame is made with aluminum with silver finishing for attractiveness and rusting prevention. Its leg rest and the front wheel can be removed to further reduce weight should you want to carry from one place to another. It is strong, sturdy and will maneuver well on all-terrain.
- 8-inches front and rear wheels
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs.
- Weight of Wheelchair: 30 lbs.
- Seat width: 19-inch, Depth: 16-inch, Back height: 19-inch
- Overall width when closed: 8-inch
- The transport wheelchair is strong and will last but we have little reservation about the weight. It weighs 30 pounds which we consider to be a little heavy for a transport wheelchair, though it does not look bulky, the weight comes from the material used for the frame.
- Medical Supply Transport wheelchair should mostly be considered for folks who will need it for a short time due to non-weight bearing injuries on both feet. It comes completely assembled and the only part you have to fix is the front wheel.
- Also, the price is not expensive; it is one of the least expensive transport lightweight wheelchairs you can easily spend on for the little period you needed it for.
- Like other quality transport chairs, it has removable, swing-away leg riggings, padded, fixed armrests, dual “push-to-lock” rear wheel brakes, and safety seat belt.
How to Select the Best Transport Wheelchair: Descriptions/Features of Lightweight Transport Wheelchair
Here are some parts of a transport wheelchair you should take note of when purchasing one. You should also consider some factors before selecting a particular transport chair.
Size of the Wheel
All transport wheelchairs have four wheels – two at the rear end and the other two at the front. The rear wheels are always bigger, wider in the base and stronger than the front wheels.
It is, however, essential to consider the size of the wheel – both the diameter and the width. Some lightweight transport wheelchairs are equipped with 12 inches rear wheel size.
Selecting the correct wheel size will also depend on the floor type. If you will be using in a very rough ground – grass, snow, gravel and so on, we recommend you go for a transport wheelchair with a rear-wheel diameter of 12-inch, otherwise, 8-inch will be sufficient.
Hand Brake System
It is not enough to buy a lightweight transport wheelchair but you should also consider safety features like the brake system.
A transport wheelchair is operated by the caregiver; it is recommended that you select one that has an easily engage hand brake system.
There are some of these products without hand brake, it is important you are sure about their other mechanism of controlling the speed of the chair. We, however, encourage you to go for a product with a hand brake as this will be easy for the caregiver to engage and properly control the speed of the wheelchair.
Any transport wheelchair approved by the FDA would always have an adjustable seat belt. I am sure you do not want to fall off your wheelchair while you enjoy your ride around the neighborhood.
Seat belt will ensure you correctly sit, then hold you properly on the wheelchair such that there will be no risk of falling, peradventure when you are rolling on a declining plane, on bumps and other uneven surfaces.
Wanting a lightweight transport wheelchair should never take your mind away from the maximum weight of the user the wheelchair can successfully carry.
Every medical mobility aids have this and it is an essential factor. While selecting your preferred product, we recommend you select a product with a higher weight capacity than your body weight.
This will ensure that you are completely safe while using the wheelchair and the frame of the medical device will not break due to excessive pressure caused by your body weight.
Weight of the Wheelchair
Your aim is to get the best lightweight transport wheelchair which means the weight of the product is of utmost importance to you. Why is getting a lightweight wheelchair important? This is important because it will make it easier to carry from one place to another for usage, traveling, and storage.
Foldable to Compact Size
The ability to fold into a smaller size is vital for storage and traveling purpose. This will ensure that it does not take much space in the home when stored and can easily fit into the car truck and airplane cabinet.
How comfortable is the wheelchair for the user and the caregiver? The comfort of the user is vital and there are some features that enhance the comfort of the user.
There should be some level of padding around the seat, backrest, and armrests. Transport wheelchairs are suitable for short term use, nevertheless, should be comfortable for the user.
Previous Buyer’s Review
As a new buyer, you should take out time to read the reviews of previous users of the product. By this, you will get firsthand information on the durability of the product and other things.
Before purchasing, we recommend you read some buyer’s review. There are buyers review on Amazon and other online stores.
A transport wheelchair is a medical device that helps you get around easily. It is important you go for a product that can move well in tight corners and on all floor types – all-terrain transport wheelchair.
Who Needs a Lightweight Transport Wheelchair?
Selecting the best lightweight transport wheelchair starts from knowing if it suits your situation as a user. The following folks should consider getting a transport chair:
- Seniors who find it difficult to move around easily due to degenerative diseases like arthritis and osteoarthritis. See our article on the best knee brace for bone-on-bone.
- Folks with injury on both feet – non-weight bearing on both feet.
- People who will make use of the wheelchair for a short time.
- Users with the weak upper body; weak arm should consider transport wheelchair
Do not consider a transport wheelchair if you fall into the following categories:
- No caregiver to push you around
- If the wheelchair will be needed for a long time.
Check also: Best knee scooter
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do lightweight transport wheelchairs weigh?
The weight of transport wheelchairs does vary from products to products. Standard transport wheelchairs can have a weight of 20 pounds to 30 pounds.
How much does a lightweight wheelchair cost?
Transport wheelchairs and self-propelled are cheaper than electric power wheelchairs. The price range for manual wheelchairs range from $100 to $500 while a power wheelchair can cost up to $3000
What is the difference between a wheelchair and a transport chair?
This can be rephrased as the difference between self-propelled and transport wheelchair. The only difference is in the size of the rear wheel. Self-propelled wheelchairs have bigger wheels and can be moved by the user without requiring any caregiver while transport wheelchair has smaller wheels and needs a caregiver to push the user from behind.
Can I get a free wheelchair from Medicare?
Medicare helps cover some expenses depending on the plan you are on. Medicare plan B will cover 80 percent of your wheelchair cost.
Check Medicare Frequently Asked Questions to get answers to other questions about Medicare and transport wheelchair policy.
Read also about the best back brace for lifting at work here
For a quick selection, NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair is what you can go for. It combines lightweight with quality features at an affordable price and has a good rating by previous buyers.
NOVA Bariatric Transport Chair should be considered by the big folks. It is very wide with a high weight carrying capacity. It also stands out among other lightweight bariatric transport wheelchairs.
For super lightweight transport wheelchair, easy to carry for traveling, Drive Medical Fly Lite is your perfect product. It has the lightest weight among other products and very strong and durable.
When you are low on budget, Drive Medical Lightweight Steel Transport Wheelchair will serve better. Not the cheapest but very affordable and quality in construction to serve the user better.