The best folding power wheelchair is the electric transport wheelchair suitable for traveling purposes. It has to have two features which are foldable and lightweight to enhance easy carrying and fitting into car trucks and airplane.
For seniors that love traveling, amputee, and people with one disability or the other, a folding and lightweight electric chair is your best option for unlimited freedom from being confined into one place.
Selecting the best lightweight folding electric wheelchair encompasses durability and portability as well. Our article on the best wheelchair – top manual transport, self-propelled and power wheelchair gives holistic buyer’s guide on selecting the best wheelchair.
To also read more about electric wheelchairs suitable for both outdoor and indoor use, you can check the best power wheelchair for outdoor for more comprehensive buyers guide to answer some frequently asked questions.
This article aims to suggest the best folding lightweight electric wheelchair. They will be a great buy for traveling purposes as they easily fold into a compact size and easy to carry due to their lightweight.
Top 5 Folding Lightweight Electric Wheelchair for Travel
From numerous electric power wheelchairs, we have selected the best five you can buy either for yourself or as a gift to seniors. They are suitable for traveling as they can be folded into compact size and light in weight for easy carriage. The list is in no particular order.
See also: Best folding crutches
- Weight Capacity: 265 lbs.
- Net Weight (with 2 batteries): 53 lbs.
- Ground Clearance: 3.5 in.
- Turning Radius: 33 in.
- 12 in. rear and front wheels
- Unfolded Dimensions: 43.7″ x 25.2″ x 40.5″
- Compact Folded Size: 19.6″ x 39.3″
- Seat Dimensions(H*W*D):21.6″ x 19.6″ x 18″
The electric wheelchair folds within two seconds into the smallest compact size. It has a weight carrying capacity of 265 pounds. The frame of the power chair is made with aluminum alloy, thereby giving it a lightweight, making it easy to carry along your journey.
Its usage is also very easy, the frame comes completely assembled and there is no reason to dissemble before folding. The power wheelchair has a weight of 59 pounds including the batteries as it runs with two batteries, capable of driving the chair for 14 miles distance.
It also has an excellent turning radius of only 33-inches; this makes maneuverability very easy in tight corners. The wheels (rear and front) are very sturdy and robust with a good ground clearance of 3.5 inches and shock absorbers ensure a smooth ride on all terrains – grass, gravel, or snow.
It can also be used as a manual transport wheelchair if the battery is not charged or unavailable. You also get a good warranty deal to give buying assurance – 5 years for frame, 1 year for motor and joystick controller, 6 months for battery.
- Front Wheel Size ( D x W ): 7″ x 1.8″
- Rear Wheel Size ( D x W ): 12.5″ x 2.3″
- Weight of wheelchair (without batteries): 50 lbs.
- Weight Capacity: 396 lbs.
- Unfolded Dimension ( L x W x H ): 38″ x 25″ x 37″
This power wheelchair is also made by Porto Mobility and it is one of the best folding wheelchairs you can go for when planning for that journey as it fit into all car truck no matter the size. It is also suitable for all-terrain, making it a good choice for everyday use.
On Amazon, it has one of the best buyer’s ratings with an average of 4.8 of 5 stars rating. This shows how much it has met the expectation of buyers and you also get a good warranty deal for buying assurance – 3 years for frame, 2 years for motor and joystick controller, 6 months for battery.
It is light in weight for convenient storage and transport purpose. The seat and seat cover are removable for easy cleaning. It can easily maneuver in tight space due to its excellent turning radius of 33-inch, a high ground clearance, shock absorber, and dual suspension in the rear allow smooth ride on uneven surfaces.
The frame is also made with lightweight and durable aluminum alloy. The frame is strong enough to hold users up to 396 pounds with the product weighing 50 pounds without batteries. It will travel for about 16 miles when fully charged and can also be used as a transport wheelchair when the battery is not available.
- Maximum weight capacity: 360lbs.
- Wheelchair’s weight: 67 lbs.
- 5-inch ground clearance
- Open Dimension: 40” (L) x 24” (W) x 38” (H)
- 15-degree slope gradient
- 20 miles driving range
Sentire Med power wheelchair is also one of the best foldable electric wheelchairs. It can be folded easily in just about five seconds and stored without having to disassemble its parts. This makes it easy to put into car trucks and its lightness ensures it can be easily carried from one place to the other.
The power wheelchair combines stylish finishing with the durability of the frame, having made with aluminum alloy for lightweight feature, and silver finishes for attractiveness. It is also designed to give good comfort to the user with well-cushioned seat and backrest, also, flip-up armrest to enable desk or table usage.
You will also enjoy power smooth ride as the electric wheelchair is equipped with two (2) 250-watt motors together with good shock absorber. The position of the joystick can be easily interchanged between the left and right armrest to suit the user perfectly.
The frame is also sturdy and strong as it can carry up to 360 pounds user’s weight. It has other accessories like under the seat storage, removable seat and seat cover for easy cleaning, cup holder, storage bags, battery bag, and travel bags.
Other Review Articles on Mobility Aid:
- Best Rollator Walker for Seniors
- Top Best Crutches
- Best Rollator Transport Walker with Seat
- Best Knee Scooter for Non-weight Bearing
- Weight (without batteries): 43 lbs.
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 265 lbs.
- Dimension when unfolded ( L x W x H ): 35″ x 23″ x 35″
- Folded Dimension ( L x W x H ): 26″ x 13″ x 30″
- Seat Height ( From Ground ): 20″
- Seat Size ( L x W ): 17″ x 17″
- Ground Clearance: 3.5″
The lightweight folding power wheelchair is made by Forcemech and proudly made in the United States. It is safe to say that the wheelchair is the lightest in weight among other power wheelchair and it is specifically built for traveling purposes.
With a weight of 43 pounds, the wheelchair also folds within seconds to ensure it’s a perfect choice for folks who love traveling. Therefore, with this power chair, you never have to be grounded with a disability as it is suitable for everyday use around the neighborhood and along that journey; FDA Certified – Airplane Travel Approved.
For maximum comfort and smooth riding experience, Forcemech power wheelchair is equipped with shock absorption spring in the front. This feature added to its strong wheel and a high ground clearance ensures it is a suitable mobility aid for all-terrain.
You also have access to a good warranty program whether you are in the United States or shipped internationally. The footrest does fold up and down but not out of the way which can be an issue for the user to easily get out of the wheelchair.
- Wheelchair’s weight: 50 lbs.
- Weight Capacity: 265 lbs.
- Battery Weight: 3.1 lbs. per battery
- Wheelchair Weight without battery: 43 lbs.
- Driving Distance: 12.5 miles
- Seat Dimension: 16.5” (W) x 19.7” (H) x 16” (D)
- Overall Dimensions: 35.4” x 23.6” x 34.6”
- Turning Radius: 35.5”
- Maximum speed: 3.7 MPH
Innuovo lightweight electric wheelchair is also one of the best folding power wheelchairs a buyer can consider. It has good numbers of positive reviews from previous buyers, giving credence to the qualities of the power wheelchair.
The lightweight and folding power wheelchair is approved by the FDA and also considered safe for airplane travel. It has a weight of 50 pounds which makes it easy to carry from one place to another. Also, its strength, durability and ergonomic design make the wheelchair one of the highest bought on Amazon.
Its frame is built with aviation aluminum and designed in such a way that it folds within three seconds. The armrests can be raised upward to enable the user to make use of a desk and table and also ensures the user can easily get in and out of the wheelchair.
The power wheelchair is equipped with 2 lithium batteries; the left side battery is running when the chair is moving on the “electric” mode while the right side battery is for the backup use. Its joystick can also be interchanged between the left and right side of the armrests depending on the preference of the user.
Why Do You Need Lightweight Folding Power Wheelchair
Power wheelchairs are always bulkier than other mobility aids like rollator walkers, self-propelled manual wheelchair and transport wheelchairs. Therefore, it is important a buyer gets the best lightweight and folding power wheelchair due to some reasons:
- When the electric wheelchair is light in weight and can be folded into a compact size, it makes it easy to travel with it. No one wants to go on a journey with something that will be a pain due to heavyweight. Furthermore, the ability to fold into compact size makes it easy to arrange your load perfectly on whatsoever journey you wish to embark on – car, train or airplane.
- Lightweight and folding power wheelchair also makes storage easy for the user. So many folks live in a small apartment and definitely will not need something that takes all the space in their home. A lightweight and folding power wheelchair will not take much space thereby ensuring easy storage for the user.
- A lightweight and folding electric power wheelchair can also be easily converted to a manual transport chair should there be unavailability of battery. Some folks might decide to take a walk with loved ones around the garden or neighborhood. It is easy to act as a caregiver when the weight of the wheelchair is light.
Recommended: Best back brace for heavy lifting