Several conditions might warrant a long term usage of crutches thereby making it very important to get the best crutches for long term use. There are misconceptions that only disabled people should use crutches for long period.
This assumption is very faulty. There are lots of severe injuries that might be sustained, hence, a need to stay supported by crutches for a very long period of time.
Whatever the case is, using crutches for a long term does not have to necessarily mean you are disabled, it could just be to protect you from complicating and disrupting the healing process of your injury.
If this is your case if you suffered a permanent injury that might warrant you use crutches for a long time or for the rest of your life, we have come up with list of the best crutches for long term use, which you can consider buying and be rest assured of strength, durability and last longing.
Quick Review – Top 10 Best crutches for long term use
Qualities of Long Term Use Crutches
There are several basic qualities to consider before deciding to choose any crutch for long term use. You have to be duly informed and understand those features that make crutches last longer.
When you check a crutch and the tip is not good and fix firmly to the ground, we will suggest you move away from such. They are unstable and you stand the risk of tripping over and fall. This isn’t what you want from your crutches, so you have to check that stability. It is very important.
Material of Construction
Crutches for long term user are made with very strong material. Most have a body made with aluminum and handgrip with plastic. Some are made with metal as well and other strong material.
This will add strength and prevent early damage. Not only that, you don’t want to use a crutch that breaks suddenly while in use. You simply don’t want to sustain another injury from something that is supposed to keep you safe.
So checking the material of construction of the crutches is very in choosing the best crutches for long term usage.
Weight / Bulkiness
Most time, it is advisable to consider forearm crutches to underarm crutches for long term usage. This is part of the factors that come into play.
When a crutch is too bulky or heavy, you get tired of walking with it easily. This is what you don’t want if you are considering using the crutch for a very long time.
In the real sense, you actually need a crutch that can successfully combine lightweight with strength. Something very light to easily carry you and strong enough to support your weight perfectly.
Considering getting the best crutches to use for a long time, then your comfort must never be tampered with. How comfortable you are using it, what features enhance your comfort. All these must be looked into before settling down for a particular crutch.
Comfort boils down to how the crutch is constructed, the material used on the handgrip and lots more.
Ergonomic features are very important. A crutch you can relate or interact with is best for long term use. This includes adjustable – something you can be easily customized to your exact and perfect need will be best for long term use.
Also, it must be easily assembled together. You should check if it is foldable as well. When a crutch is foldable, it can be easily stored when it’s not in use which will help it to last longer and best for long term use.
Salient Things to Keep In Mind When Selecting Crutches
As much as we have tried to streamline your search to these top pick crutches but while selecting among them, it is very important to also have these points in your mind, it will help you in selecting the one that is best for you.
It is important you check the range of the height the crutches can serve perfectly.
Choosing a crutch in which your height doesn’t fall within the range will be very disastrous. You won’t enjoy the usage and might end up wasting your hard-earned money on it.
The Crutches Weight Carrying Capacity
Every crutch has its weight carrying capacity. This is actually the maximum weight it can successfully carry or support without having any issue.
The implication of getting a crutch which has the lesser carrying capacity to your weight is that it can break suddenly. It cannot handle your weight and will break under such stress.
So it is imperative you stay safe always, you want to be mobile through the use of crutch and not to get yourself more injured.
Type of crutches: Underarm or Forearm
We have an article that helps you through the selection process between forearm vs. underarm crutches. It should be enough to get you informed on which to pick.
Why it is important to know which between the two is that, there are lots of situations or conditions where it is best to get forearm crutches and some situations will deserve underarm crutches better.
Top 10 Best Crutches for Long Term Usage
These are the best 10 crutches you should consider for a long term use. They are durable and will last very long. This list is in no particular order.
This is a big upgrade of crutches and one of the best you should consider for long term use. With this, you have no reason to stress your arms again; your hands are completely free giving you the best convenience making it suitable or best crutch for long term use.
iWALK2.0 Hands-Free Knee Crutch gives you the mobility you crave for without having to stress yourself. It takes away stress completely; your hands are free and you can walk like before again.
The crutch easily converts from left leg to right. Very easy to adjust to fit into a different range of height. This makes it suitable for both children and adult if your height is between 5’1” – 6’2”.
Like regular crutches, it has its own maximum allowable weight which is 275 lbs and maximum thigh circumference of 28 inches measured at the top of the leg.
This is a very lovely invention, nicely built to serve you best.
- Straps are adjustable with comfort knee pads.
- It keeps your hands free removing the stress of having to struggle with carrying crutches.
- Easy ON/OFF with quick release buckle.
- Great for non-weight bearing.
- Very strong and durable.
- Not suitable for elderly people. It requires you to be strong to use.
- The screw at thigh may wear out faster and you need to buy extra screw.
This crutch combines every quality you could ever think about good crutches. It’s a crutch that should be considered when thinking about long term use. It serves its purpose perfectly and also gives you the comfort needed to use for a longer period.
One of the things that set crutches apart for long term use is lightness in weight and strength. These two qualities must never be found wanting and this crutch combines them perfectly.
It is light in weight for easy carriage and strong enough to support a maximum weight of 300 lbs.
You also need a high level of stability in the best crutches for long term usage. This perfected in this crutch with its contoured crutch tip
Comfort features are not lacking as well – a lovely underarm cushion pad giving great comfort while in use.
It is adjustable to fit almost all range of heights. This crutch features three sizes: Medium Adult, Tall Adult, and Youth. Check the size chart and know which fits your height before making an order. Be sure to order the right one for your height.
Hugo Lightweight Adjustable Aluminum Crutches is one of the best crutches with great customer’s review. It is widely used and enjoys a lot of positive reviews, so you can safely consider it for long term use.
- Light in weight and still very strong and durable.
- Adjustable to customize the size.
- Firm tip on the ground for stability.
- Underarm cushion pad for comfort.
- Made in three sizes to give allowance for almost all users.
- Their pads seem cheap and flimsy. You might need to buy another pad to supplement.
Thinking about the best crutches for long term purpose, Mobilegs Ultra Crutches should come to mind. This is a lovely crutch that is nicely built to cater to your perfect mobility.
For it to last longer, the majority of its body part is built with metal. This does not only make it last longer, but it also ensures durability and strength to support your weight perfectly.
Mobilegs is fully adjustable to accommodate a wide range of heights. If you are between 4’9” – 6’4”, be rest assured it will be perfect for you. All you need do is resizing it and you can enjoy your mobility.
Your needs are in the mind of the manufacturer, some exciting features are proving of this which include ergonomic handgrips contour on the hand which also help maintain natural wrist angle, offset legs to allow hip clearance to limit chances of tripping.
- Rocker feet specially designed to firmly contact the ground while walking to avoid tripping.
- Very strong enough to support up to 300 lbs weight.
- Offset legs for hip clearance.
- Adjustable to accommodate almost all height
- Built with strong and durable material.
- It is also light in weight to allow easy carriage
- Not great for tall people. Mind the size range to be sure it is good for you.
- The handgrip is somehow large for a petite person.
Read comprehensively on best crutches
This crutch is undoubtedly one of the best forearm crutches you can use for long term purpose. It has been widely used and garnered a lot of positive feedback from previous users.
Ortonyx is highly tested and trusted and will successfully support the weight of 308 lbs. and its handle height to the floor is adjustable from 30” – 38”.
Since you are looking for the best crutches for long term use here, you will want to get something that actually interests you, talking about the design. The crutches are made in four different colors, so you can select the color you like among them.
Your crutches should not be heavy, we emphasize that enough and ORTONYX Forearm Crutches are unbeatable in that aspect. Each crutch weighs 1.15 lbs. which is very good for a forearm crutch and they are very durable as well.
The tip is made in a way to absorb every shock resulting from the impact on the floor. It holds firmly on the ground and supports your weight the best way.
- Made in four colors for you to choose.
- Very light in weight and yet durable.
- It is easily adjustable.
- The handle of the crutch is made with materials that bring great comfort for the hand.
- The handle is 4” wide, making it easy for you to grab.
- It is made with aluminum and very sturdy in construction.
- The crutch’s cuff does not hold onto your wrist. So it falls from the hand if you let go.
In our search for the best crutches for long term use, we came about this crutch and we are more than happy to introduce it to you. The fact that it will be very useful for those thinking of buying a crutch once and for all makes it appealing.
Looking for a crutch to use for a long time, you should get one that keeps your body in their right and natural position and this is what the crutches offer best. You would never feel uncomfortable because your hands and wrist are all in their natural positions eliminating wrist pain and nerve damage.
The crutch is professionally used by NCAA, it is light in weight, made with aluminum and heavy-duty construction which makes it very strong and durable to support the weight of 300 lbs.
The tip of a crutch is part of what we consider before choosing them, they are the reason why a crutch can trip and makes you fall. So we check the tip and found out it is one of the best tips any crutch can have. It provides stability on all ground and ensures your stability.
One size for kids and adults. It is adjustable (up to 19 height adjustments) to fit between 4’6” – 6’7”.
- Fits almost all height making it suitable for all.
- Ergonomically designed handles.
- Firm crutch tip that prevents tripping.
- Very durable and strong, made with aluminum.
- They are foldable for proper storage.
- You may need to buy an extra pad for the arm for more comfort.
DonJoy Rebound Ergonomic Crutches is one of the best crutches for long term usage. It has been amazing and one of the best crutches out there. Also designed to give great comfort and enhance fluid movement.
DonJoy features spring assist technology which acts as a shock absorber. It removes the vibration that comes from the impact on the ground and also uses the same energy absorbed to help and push you forward to enhance your movement.
The handgrip is adjustable and made in a way to keep your hand in a neutral position, removing wrist pain and enhances proper blood flow.
Storage when not in use cannot be an issue. It is easily folded and conveniently stored and carried along when traveling.
The underarm is nicely padded to bolster comfort. It reduces soreness and irritation making it suitable to be used for a long period of time.
It is available in two sizes, has a weight carrying capacity of 500 lbs., each crutch weight 3.08 lbs. and they are built to be strong and reliable.
- Made in 2 sizes to fit all users: Short (Height – 4’7” – 5’7”), Tall (Height – 5’7” – 6’10”).
- Very comfortable underarm pads.
- Strong and durable – support up to 500 lbs. weight.
- Spring-assisted technology to aid movement and absorb vibration.
- Articulating tips.
- Not so easy to adjust.
- A little bit heavy.
Your injury does not have to hold you back; you can enjoy a very good and comfortable movement for a very long time when you get Vive Forearm Crutches. While managing a disability or recovering from an injury, this crutch gives the best comfort, reduces wrist pain and ensures proper positioning for mobility.
You can customize it to your fit with its 1” adjustment increments. With each push button, the size is either increased or reduced to your perfect fit. Once the spring enters the hole, it stays their perfectly and will not go anywhere.
It is made with a material that is last longing and can resist stress easily. The material is also corrosion-resistant. This makes it a suitable crutch for long term use, coupled with the fact that your comfort is not jeopardized while making use of it.
It will support a weight of 300 lbs. so if you are more than that, please do not consider this crutch.
Your stability is guaranteed. The tip is made with rubber and it does not slip or trip.
The contour grips reduce hand and wrist fatigue. You can make use of it for a long time without feeling tiredness or stress.
- Non-slip rubber tips reduce slip and trip risk.
- Contoured grips reduce hand and wrist fatigue.
- Adjustable height, easily adjusted in 1” increment.
- One-piece molded cuff for stability and durability.
- High strength, support up to 300 lbs.
- Supportive ergonomic design for comfort.
- You might want to get some extra stoppers while purchasing this.
- The tips wear out easily.
See more: Best crutches for non-weight bearing
Medline crutches are made to suit both youth and adult. They are made in 2 sizes which are: youth size (user’s height of 4’2” – 5’2”) and adult (user’s height of 5’0” – 6’2”). Carefully selected according to your height for a perfect fit.
With material like aluminum being the material used for its construction, you are assured of great strength, durability and long-lasting.
It is vinyl coated making it to also be corrosion-resistant, a very good crutch to consider among the best crutches for long term use.
The crutches do not fall off from your arm when released. The cuff is made to hold onto your wrist perfectly.
Also, for stability, the tips are made with material does not trip.
- The cuffs have locks perfectly around your wrist making it impossible to fall off when the handgrips are released.
- They can be easily adjusted to any sizes of your choice.
- The crutches are strong and durable.
- The tip is made with rubber to reduce tripping and slipping.
- Quality in production and very affordable.
- Two sizes available to choose from – youth and adult sizes.
- The rubber tip wears off easily and this makes it necessary to get replacement tips.
- The handle is made with plastic which might hurt.
Check here: Best rollator walker
The importance of getting lightweight crutches can never be overemphasized. You cannot use heavy crutches for a long period of time, so when choosing our best crutches for long term use, the weight is an important factor that is looked upon which this crutch offers the best in that aspect.
ErgoTech Lightweight Forearm Crutches is 1.12 lbs. in weight and the most surprising thing is the kind of strength this crutch wields for such a lightweight crutch as it supports up to 285 lbs. weight.
Also, it is easily interacted with. Very easy to adjust its length to fit your need. Not only that, the cuffs can be adjusted to four positions to give more customize fit and enhance comfort.
Definitely one of the best forearm crutch that can be used on a long term basis for disabled or people recovering from an injury.
The grips are soft and very easy on the palm. While holding, forget about irritation, you will definitely be fine using this crutch.
- Rubber tips to prevent tripping and slipping.
- Very light in weight for easy carriage and yet very strong to hold up to 285 lbs. weight
- Can be easily folded for storage and travel.
- Very easily adjustable to fit all heights.
- It can be difficult to adjust. You may need help in adjusting it for the first time after purchasing.
Our list will never be complete without this crutch. One thing that sets it apart from others is the way it was designed. Your best interest must have been in the mind of the manufacturer and I can assure you they went all the way to give you the best experience you can ever get using a crutch.
You can almost interact with any of its parts and set to your preference. Not only that, they made it so comfortable to use. Much of its accessories will aim great movement and enhance your comfort.
Even in dark places, you do not have to struggle to hold a lamp or torch. It is made with leadlight that helps you see clearly. This is a feature you might not find in any other crutches out there.
The length is adjustable, the cuff is also adjustable. Set everything to what you want and walk confidently.
Also contains spring technology which is the shock absorber. The tip is made with strong rubber which does not wear easily. The spring also aids easy movement.
- It is very strong and supports a weight of 360 lbs.
- If your height is between 5’0” and 6’6”, then it is perfect for you.
- Not too heavy for easy carriage. Each weighs 2.8 lbs.
- Led light in the front part for clear vision in dark places.
- Seven colors are available to choose from depending on your preference.
- Not a good choice if your upper body is weak.
How to correctly size a crutch – Best Guide
It is not enough to pick the best crutches but very more important to size it correctly. Inability to adjust to the proper size can be detrimental to your comfort and can also be harmful.
Especially for those needing the crutch on a long term purpose, they need to know how to carefully adjust the height of the crutches to their height to perfectly aim their mobility.
How to size underarm crutches
Underarm crutches are considered for long term use especially for elderly people or those having a weak upper body region. Below is the step by step guides to properly adjusting and sizing an underarm crutch to your height.
- Stand straight on your strong leg (not the injured leg) and adjust the full length/height of the crutch such that the top of the crutch is ½ – 1 inch below your armpit.
- Adjust the hand-grip such that it is on the same height with the top of your hips such that your elbow is a little bent while holding the hand-grip.
- Hold the crutches beside you and gradually transfer the weight of your body unto the crutches to test if the hand-grip is fully adjusted and strong enough to hold your weight.
How to size forearm crutches
Forearm crutches are different from underarm crutches and it is very important to correct them. Below are also the step by step guides to sizing or adjusting a forearm crutch properly to your height
- Stand upright and place the crutch beside you. Adjust the handgrip such that it is at the crease of your wrist when your hand is fully extended.
- Hold the handgrip and adjust the cuff such that it is a few inches (1 – 2 inches) below the elbow.
- Adjust the by widening or narrowing the cuff to properly fit the circumference of your arm.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best crutches to buy?
There are lots of good crutches out there but we have helped you limit them to these 10 which we believe to be the best crutches you can get especially when you might need it for long term use.
So many people prefer to have their hands free, for such people, they can go for iWalk 2.0. it is the best alternative to crutches (underarm and forearm)
Are forearm crutches better than regular crutches?
No! They are not better in regards to function which is to aim your mobility. So many only prefer forearm crutches because they are quite fanciful and portable compared to underarm crutches.
Forearm crutches even require more strength than underarm crutches. So, forearm crutches require you to have a strong upper body region, unlike underarm crutches.
Are crutches expensive?
Price varies and one great thing is that crutches have a wide price range which can give you access to pick according to your finance.
Best crutches for long term use must be very strong, durable, comfortable and lightweight. These are the major factors to be considered while choosing the crutch.
We have taken our time to research about the best among the numerous crutches out there and we are quite sure they will definitely be a great buy.